Feb 11, 2007

Setting up shop

So we recently moved, listed our old house, and sold it. The closing is coming up next week, and I've been busy moving things between the old and new places. I had gotten most everything out except my large power tools from my shop. Luckily, one of my friends loaned me his trailer, and another friend lent me a hand, and we were able to move the table saw and drill press over today. That pretty much does it for my large equipment - I still have a few odds and ends and some lumber to move out, but now I can focus on setting up my new shop space.

I do woodworking as a hobby, but having a nice shop makes it more fun, and the new house has a great space (pics coming soon) for a shop. Out behind the house is a three-story barn. The middle level is even with the house, with the old hay loft above, and a huge (10+ car) parking area below. Even better, the barn has its own furnace, so I can heat the shop and work without freezing to death in the winter. I decided to turn the middle level, which is about the equivalent of a 6 car garage, into my wood shop. That level has a wooden floor that's in questionable shape in some spots, so I'm not comfortable parking on it, but it's a great shop space.

I'm going to need to do some work to get the space usable. There is a new subpanel in the building, but the old light fixtures and wiring are in poor shape and need to be repaired or replaced. Once I get that done and can turn the power back on, I need to bring someone to get the heater working again. There are some water-damaged ceilings that need to come out (the roof was repaired, but the interior damage never fixed), and some of the floor boards need to be replaced, and the floor shimmed up in some spots. I think a couple of the posts on the corners of the barn probably need to be fixed too. It will be a lot of work, but should be fun, and I'll have a great space to work in when I'm done. I plan to share my progress on this site, in case anyone is interested, and could maybe learn from what I'm doing.

No comments: